Breast sagging (ptosis) is characterized by deflated, pendulous breasts. A loss of volume and skin elasticity in the breasts can occur as a consequence of pregnancy, nursing, weight changes, hormones, genetics, or aging. Dr. Rey performs breast lift surgery to reposition, reshape, and rejuvenate the breasts so that they are more aesthetically pleasing and youthful in appearance.
Good candidates for breast lift surgery:
- Feel that their breasts are sagging and have lost volume or shape
- Have breasts that are pendulous, flat, or elongated
- Have nipples and areolas that point downward
- Have enlarged areolas and stretched skin
- Have breasts that are asymmetrical, with one lower than the other
- Are physically healthy
- Are at a stable body weight
- Are non-smokers
- Are done having children, as future pregnancies can negatively alter the results of breast lift surgery
Dr. Rey performs breast lift surgery as an outpatient procedure with the patient under general anesthesia. The technique he will use to make the incisions will depend on your breast size, breast shape, the position and size of your areolas, the degree of ptosis, and the quality and elasticity of your skin. After making the incisions, he will lift and reshape the breast tissue to improve its shape and firmness. He will also reposition the nipple-areolar complex, removing excess skin where necessary to compensate for lost skin elasticity.
- Crescent Lift: In cases of minor sagging with nipples that point forward, an incision is made along the upper half of each areola for minor corrections.
- Benelli Lift: For minor sagging and asymmetric nipples, an incision is made around each areola for minor corrections.
- Lollipop Lift: In the case of moderate sagging and nipples that point downward, an incision is made around the areola and vertically down toward the breast crease. This allows the doctor to tighten the breast tissue and reposition the nipple-areolar complex.
- Anchor Incision: In cases of significant breast ptosis and nipples that point downward, the incision is made around the areola, vertically down to the breast crease, and horizontally along the breast crease. This allows for repositioning of the nipple-areolar complex and for even more tissue to be removed.
After breast lift surgery, it is common for patients to experience bruising, swelling, redness, and some discomfort. Dr. Rey will provide you with a support bra to help your newly repositioned breasts heal. You should follow his recommendations for how long to wait before returning to work and exercise. In most cases, it is best to wait several weeks before engaging in any strenuous physical activities.
As the swelling subsides after surgery, you will notice dramatically improved results in the appearance of your breasts. While there will be some scarring, the newly improved shape, firmness, and position of your breasts will create more youthful contours that will help you to feel more comfortable in your feminine body. They will even help your clothing to fit your body in a more flattering fashion. The results of this procedure are long lasting to permanent when patients maintain a stable body weight and avoid future pregnancies.
Women who experience breast sagging and deflation can have their breasts improved with breast lift surgery. Schedule your consultation with Dr. Rey to see if breast lift surgery is right for you. To learn more, contact our office at (310) 205-3107 or fill out our online contact form to book your appointment today.